Gas Day Harmonisation
In this section
In this section
In early 2017 the AEMC published a rule determination to harmonise the start time of the gas day used in the short-term trading market hubs and the gas supply hub trading locations with the gas day start time used in the Victorian declared wholesale gas market. Under the rule, the gas day in each market at each location will commence at 6.00 am Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST). This change will also result in standardising the next gas day nomination cut-over time which will be 3pm AEST.
In late 2017 the COAG Energy Council considered a range of reform recommendations put forward by Gas Market Reform Group’s (GMRG) which include harmonising the start time of the gas day. At the November 2017 COAG Energy Council meeting, Ministers agreed with the full package of reforms put forward by GMRG which included a recommendation that harmonising the start time of the gas day changes take effect by 1 October 2019. The relevant National Gas Law (NGL) and National Gas Rule (NGR) changes were made by the SA Minister for Energy on 22 November 2018.
In September of 2018, AEMO kicked-off a program of work to update relevant market procedures and market systems to reflect the new standard gas timetable.
As required by the NGR, AEMO is also consulting on the Transition Plan for gas markets affected by the changes. The transition plan includes general principles for transition that AEMO has used to develop the transition plan.
The NGR also requires affected natural gas facilities to prepare transition plans for their facilities by no later than 30 June 2019. AEMO suggests that affected facility operators follow the general principles for transition included in the gas market transition plans.
Gas Day Harmonisation Consultation Pages
- Transition Plan
- Wholesale Procedure changes
- Retail Market Procedure changes
- IN009-18 GDH RMP transitionals
AEMO will facilitate a further consultation in July 2019. The purpose of this consultation is to seek feedback on any procedure changes that have been overlooked. View the current list of changes that will be included in this consultation (132 KB, doc).
Gas Day Harmonisation – Review of guidelines
Retail Market Guidelines
As part of the program of work to review the impact of harmonising the start time of the gas day initiative, AEMO has completed a review of all QLD, NSW/ACT and SA retail market guideline. A list of all guidelines that were reviewed can be viewed below.
- List of retail market guideline documents (98 KB, pdf)
This review revealed that two guidelines required minor amendments. An extract from each of these guidelines showing the marked-up changes can be viewed below.
- Extract of marked up changes to guideline (239 KB, pdf)
Stakeholders are welcome to review all guidelines in the list noted above to determine whether any of these guidelines require amendments. Stakeholder are also invited to provide feedback on the marked-up changes if they identify any issues with the marked-up changes to the two guidelines mentioned above. Feedback is to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received by COB Friday 29 March 2019.
Documents for Review
AEMO has updated the following documents to align with the new Standard Market Timetable which commences on 1 October 2019.
These documents will be finalised and then published post 1 October 2019. If you have any comments/questions please contact the AEMO team at email@example.com.
- Guide to Capacity Transfer and Day-ahead Auction Reports (1.04 MB, pdf)
- Guide to Capacity Transfer and Day-ahead Auction Transactions (1.01 MB, pdf)
- Technical Guide to the STTM (4.71 MB, pdf)
- Gas Supply Hub Industry Guide V6.0 (2.7 MB, pdf)
- Guide to Gas Supply Hub Reports V2.0 (1.04 MB, pdf)
Links to published GDH Transition plans
AEMO has received GDH Transition Plans from all known Natural Gas Facility Operators, being:
- Facilities registered or seeking registration on Gas Bulletin Board
- Facilities not required to register on Gas Bulletin Board, but which meet definition of a Part 26 Natural Gas Facility
- Distribution Networks in NSW, ACT, SA and QLD
The file contains a list of Natural Gas Facilities and a link to their published transition plan. Note that the links are correct as 06 September 2019, and may have been moved on the relevant website.
- Transition Plans Published by Natural Gas Facilities (158 KB, pdf)
A Natural Gas Facility that has advised AEMO that they do not need to provide a transition plan is indicated by ‘NA’.
Links to hourly data
To assist STTM Users and QLD Retailers outside STTM BRI with forecasting demand for the short gas day on 30 Sep 2019 and new standard gas day from 1 Oct 2019 onwards, AEMO is publishing raw, unvalidated hourly metering data.
The data sets show gas day and hourly data for the hour starting at the time indicated. For example, 1 Aug 2018 6:30am means gas day 1 Aug 2018 and data from 6:30am to 7:30am.
- Net injections to distribution networks in QLD by gas date and withdrawal zones:
- Central (STTM BRI injections to distribution network)
- Midcoast (QLD retail balancing)
- Western (QLD retail balancing)
- Lockyer Valley (QLD retail balancing)
- Hourly Injections for Queensland by withdrawal zone (324 KB, csv)
- STTM SYD by gas date:
- Net injections to STTM distribution network
- Hourly Injections for STTM SYD hub by withdrawal zone (180 KB, csv)
Note that this is raw, unvalidated meter data and should not be relied on for any purposes other than informing STTM participants of possible impacts to daily quantities during the transition to the standard gas day.